Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Sleuthing Mandate Period Photographs

I found this photograph in the Matson Collection



and it seemed to me I was perhaps familiar with the location of where those gentlemen were standing. So I went and took a picture the other day to compare:


I think that this is the sidewalk across the street from the main Post Office on Jaffa Road in downtown Jerusalem and my guess is that the first picture was snapped on the opening day ceremony.  I think the windows of the building in the rear are the same.

Oh, this is what they are looking at:



But if the Post Office was opened in June 1938, why the overcoat?  Hmmm, on that day, he wasn't wearing a coat and it's a different British official.

Then I realized I had neglected the URL listing so I went back and this is what I found:

High Commisioners. Coming and departing.
H.E. (i.e., His Excellency) the High Commsioner Sir Arthur Wauchope with Mr. Winter inspecting the new general post office building

So, I was right regarding the location but wrong about the date.  Wauchope did retire in March 1938 so this must have been a visit a few months before the opening ceremony, in the winter, prior to the arrival of his replacement, Harold MacMichael.

As for Winter, can we assume he is Postal Service Department Head?


^

1 comment:

ba san said...


After that the relationship between the family circumstances, to read "small six" jimmy choo handbag more forced to drop out of school official followed his father's shoes to make money. But, at the time of the penang, shoemaker is very was looked down upon work, neither life safeguard and no technical content, jimmy choo bag has for example local girl if marry a shoemaker, will suffer from family strong opposition, to show that when shoemaker status is low. link to www.jimmychoobagssales.com